Sunday, September 7, 2014

Review of the Haley Strategic Partners/G-Code INCOG holster


 For the longest time, I carried exclusively outside the waistband.  Maybe it was because I was used to it with my duty holster, maybe it was because I just never bothered to take the time to really appreciate the advantages of inside the waistband carry.  Either way, I've thankfully grown out of my previous dogma of concealed carry, and I've started to expand my carry tools.

Back in April, I wrote a review of the Raven Concealment Vanguard 2 holster system.  I’m a huge fan of the Vanguard 2 due to its versatility and its comfort.  My only real concern with the Raven system is the inability to re-holster.  Because I wanted to have that ability if the situation required it, I started looking for another holster that would meet that specific need.  Thankfully, my search was quick, as I found one produced by a company that builds some of my favorite carry gear – G-Code Holsters of Jacksonville, NC.  Their INCOG holster, a joint venture with Haley Strategic Partners, is a “minimum bulk, multi-positional, deep concealment holster.”  Most of their videos and illustrations show the INCOG being carried appendix carry style, but not being a big appendix carry aficionado (it’s just not comfortable for me), I usually carry at the five o’clock position.  Thankfully, the INCOG is easily adaptable to this position either by simply sliding the holster around, or with the removal of one of the two belt hooks.  The holster’s design allows for easy draw and re-holster, and fits comfortably for all day carry.

The holster itself is made of Kydex with a suede “Tactical Fuzz” outer cover.  Two unique mounting clips secure the holster to your belt.  These clips are different from virtually every other belt clip I’ve seen in that they angle out, away from the holster.  What this does is push the holster away from the belt and closer to the body of the person carrying.  As a side benefit, they also make it easier to tuck a shirt behind the clips if you so desire.  Whether due to the clip’s design, or just the overall holster’s design, I also find it easier to access my pistol with my off-hand with the INCOG.  The clips are heavy duty plastic, with an aggressive lower hook that grabs a belt, but also has a lip to pull the hook open for holster removal.  I normally wear the INCOG with a 1.75” Bianchi leather belt, and it has no trouble handling the almost .25” thick belt.  It’s probably the most secure belt clip I’ve seen that doesn’t require contortions to remove.  The holster ships from the factory with 3-hole clips to adjust the height of carry, but 4-hole clips for deeper carry are an option as well.  As with most Kydex holsters, the INCOG is a friction retention holster with a screw for tension adjustment.
There is also an optional magazine caddy that connects directly to the INCOG to carry an additional magazine in case you need to reload or conduct immediate action.  It is available in matching color schemes to the INCOG holster.

I tend to think of the INCOG and the Vanguard 2 as complimentary systems that I can call upon depending upon the needs of the moment.  I still haven’t built up a concealed carry wardrobe to match with my IWB carry, so for times when I need to wear my smaller pants, or maybe a little bit deeper concealment, the Vanguard will be my go-to.  The Vanguard would also be my choice for carrying in a bag (or a purse for the ladies).  However, for my day to day needs, the INCOG is by far my holster of choice.

The INCOG is available in four different color combinations for $69.95, or add the mag caddy for an additional $42.25.  Orders are made as they are placed, and there is typically a four to six week waiting period.  Visit http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INC/INCOG.html to order, or for additional details and options.  

See Haley Strategic Partners breakdown and draw tips below:



X Echo 1 is a 10 year veteran of the US Coast Guard, where he has served at various units including the International Training Division and Maritime Security Response Team. He has held qualifications including Deployable Team Leader/Instructor, Direct Action Section Team Leader, and Precision Marksman – Observer. He has deployed/instructed on five continents and served in quick reaction force roles for multiple National Special Security Events in the US. In addition to his Coast Guard credentials, he is also an NRA Certified Instructor, focusing his attention on civilians looking for professional instruction for their defensive needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment