Sunday, December 21, 2014

Glock Upgrades


So I thought I'd say a few words about the upgrades I do to my Glocks on a regular basis.  I've got a few that I consider my go-tos, and I wanted to throw those out there.  First though, I need to push out one over-arching thought: upgrades are to enhance a gun that already works for you.  If you have a gun that doesn't function for you without upgrades, you may have the wrong gun to start with.  That's not to say that there aren't special cases that may need things like a better mag release or slide release, but ideally you should be able to perform the basic functions (loading, unloading, firing) without any upgrades.

With that said, here are a few of my favorite upgrades:

Vicker's Extended Mag Release: I use a Glock Gen 4, and even though I think the larger ambidextrous mag release is a massive improvement over the Gen 3 and earlier models, for me, having the extended release makes it that much easier to conduct mag changes.  It's simple to change out, and I have had no problems with accidental releases.  It's also rounded, which makes it a little easier on the fingers for repeated mag changes.

Ghost, Inc 3.5lb Rocket Connector: Even though it's advertised at 3.5lbs, I'm pretty sure that was measured on a Gen 3.  Due to the changed geometry of the Gen 4 trigger, I feel that this connector produces more of a 4-4.5lb pull, although I don't have a way to measure it (for more info on the changed geometry and its effects, read up on the Glock "dot" connector).  I personally don't like a carry gun with less than 4lbs, but that's me.  The thing I like most about the Rocket is the overtravel stop.  It takes hand fitting, but it's not terribly time consuming and really makes a difference on my follow up shots thanks to a faster trigger reset.  Also, on two of my guns I've polished the internals, but when last I spoke to Ghost, they advised not to polish when using their connectors, so I'm going to forgo the polish job for the time being.

Ghost, Inc Complete Spring Kit: I only use this kit in specific scenarios, such as an IDPA match.  While it definitely reduces trigger pull and makes my follow up shots faster, the lighter weight springs actually interfere with some of the safety functions of the Glock, at least in my experience.  I never use these springs for carry.  They do have a heavy-weight striker spring for "more reliable ignition," but I've never had an issue with the stock spring, so I don't use that particular spring.

Grip Force Adapter: Having seen the effects of Glock slide bite, I like having a beavertail on my Glock.  My first two Gen 4s didn't come with the beavertails that the new Gen 4s do, so I bought these.  Not only do they provide the protection of the beavertail, but they also change the backstrap geometry just enough to help with the weird Glock "high front sight" syndrome.  On my newest Gen 4, I'm going to try the factory beavertail first, and then switch to the Grip Force if I don't like the stock one.

Ameriglo Hackathorn Sights: Let's face it, while the Glock sights are functional, most people I've talked to hate them, some quite passionately.  My personal preference in sights runs to plain black rear with some sort of Tritium front.  I like the Hackathorns because the front Tritium vial is surrounded by a bright orange painted ring, which immediately draws your eye to the front sight, day or night.  Also, they have a nice ledge on the front of the rear sight for one-handed manipulation.

So hopefully I've thrown out some products that may interest you for your Glock.  I'm quite happy with all of these products, with the occasional exception noted.  I do want to re-emphasize the fact that these are upgrades.  My Glock will run quite handily without any of them, but they do enhance its operation for me.  You'll have to be the judge of what enhancements (if any) you want on your gun.


X Echo 1 is a 10 year veteran of the US Coast Guard, where he has served at various units including the International Training Division and Maritime Security Response Team.  He has held qualifications including Deployable Team Leader/Instructor, Direct Action Section Team Leader, and Precision Marksman – Observer.  He has deployed/instructed on five continents and served in quick reaction force roles for multiple National Special Security Events in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment